- Review of “Body by Science” – The Fitness Revolution for the Time-Strapped Professional
Have you ever wondered if it’s possible to achieve peak fitness in less time? “Body by Science” by Doug McGuff M.D. and John Little could be the answer you’re looking for. Tailored for those who are pressed for time yet committed to fitness, it challenges conventional workout norms and presents a scientifically backed, efficient approach to strength training and overall wellness.
- Turning Adventure Dreams into Fitness Reality
Imagine standing at the base of a majestic mountain, the trail winding up into the clouds, or picturing yourself kayaking through serene waters as the sun sets. These aren’t just daydreams – they’re powerful motivators waiting to transform your fitness journey.
- Finding Your Balance in Adventure Sports: The Unsung Hero
In adventure sports, balance plays a crucial yet often overlooked role. Whether it’s hiking up a mountain or catching a wave, the ability to correctly balance the body is absolutely crucial to our performance and is often something most people ignore in their training, mainly as they have no idea how to improve it.
- A New Excuse For Adventure – SUP: A Mid-Life Guide
Stand-up paddleboarding is not just a sport; it’s a pathway to a healthier, more balanced life. For those in their mid-life, SUP offers a unique opportunity to rejuvenate both body and mind, to explore new horizons, and to rediscover a sense of adventure and tranquility.
- The Problem with Probiotics
Your microbiome has a HUGE ability to drive health or disease within the body, so taking probiotics seems like the logical choice, but they have a dark side…
- Supercharging Cardio for Fat Burning #2
“Finish your workout…load up with protein and carbs.” An age old message we have been told since we first started doing exercise and if you’re exercising to build muscle and want to recover quickly in-between sessions it’s absolutely spot on. If you’re working out to lose weight…not so much. In my last post I talked about the fact that while… Read more: Supercharging Cardio for Fat Burning #2
- How to Supercharge Cardio For Weight Loss #1
We’ve all seen them, or even been them. The people who come to the gym day after day. They’re carrying a bit of weight but they have this determined look on their face. They sign up to the hardest classes and smash them, they jump on the treadmill and sweat their asses off for what seems like hours, then they… Read more: How to Supercharge Cardio For Weight Loss #1
- Why You Need To Have Exactly Enough Muscle And Not A Kilo More
For a lot of us the goal is simply more muscle. Here I break down why that’s not always a great idea.
- Why Your Pain Is Caused By One Thing
Knee, hip, lower back, shoulder and neck pain are often caused by the exact thing thing, something which no one ever thinks about….
- The Crash Of Testosterone in the Modern Male
“He just never wants to do it anymore..I don’t know what’s wrong with me”
This was about the third time this week I’d heard this from one of my female friends.
Talking about how their seemingly healthy boyfriend wasn’t interested in sex anymore.
I could fully sympathise with these poor chaps plight.
- Losing Weight After 35? You’re Buggered Before You Get Out Of Bed…
So if I do the same amount of exercise as my younger brother, and eat the exact same food, I’ll be 2 kilos heavier than him by the end of this year?
- Is It Possible To Age Backwards?
Is it actually possible to feel 10 years younger, or is a load of old snake oil?
- A Tale of Two Goats – Stories From Our Experiences
“We chopped off his balls…and ate him.”
- Denise Oerlemans – Testimonial
Check out what Denise thought just 6 weeks into our program.
- Struggling To Keep The Weight Off? There’s a Hack For That…
90% of all dieters will have regained any weight lost within 5 years. Turns out this is really nothing to do with you, it’s simply a survival mechanism.
- Mouth or Nose Breathing?
There’s a lot of talk about the benefits of nose breathing but then you go to a Yoga class and they tell you to breath through your mouth…
- What Horses Taught Me About Diet
What horses can teach us about good nutrition…
- How To Build Young Muscle – And Age Slower
Muscle is one of the chief determinants of how fast you will age. The older your muscles the faster you age.
Today I’m going to show you how to keep your muscles young.
- Why Only Counting Calories Is Fatally Flawed
Calorie counting assumes that food is simply energy, the reality is that food is much more than that.
- Are Diet & Exercise The Most Important Things You Can Be Doing?
The whole health industry is built around diet and exercise, but are these really the most powerful ways to influence health…or is there something else we should be looking at?
- Why a LOT of Health & Fitness Advise Simply Doesn’t Work
In 2002 the movie “Collateral Damage” came out, Arnie looked great and at 55 really seemed to be beating the game, he looked incredible. Then Arnold got a job.
- Ellen Gozeling Testimonial
Ellen is one of my coaching clients, this is my conversation with her after 3 weeks.
- A Really Simple Hack To Recover Faster After Exercise
Whenever I read a post on improving recovery they all seem to be talking about the same stuff:
magnesium, compression garments, active recovery etc… there is however a MUCH more powerful way.
- Your Environment IS your Health
When I am asked, “What is the most important factor in human health and why have we seen such a decline in it over the last 100 years?”…my answer, given in a heartbeat, is always the same.
- Eat More To Lose More…Honestly!
One of the first things I tell most of my clients who are looking to lose weight is to eat more…
- 4 Steps to Get Rid of a Candida Overgrowth
Have you got or suspect you may have Candida and want to know how to get rid of it?
Follow these 4 simple steps to get rid of it.
- Simple Exercise To Increase Longevity: Reversing Hypoxia
Back when I was 16 there was this girl I really fancied…
Her name was Lucy but we all just called her “The Legs.”
She never looked at me, hell she probably didn’t even know I existed, after all I was a geek who liked playing Warhammer 40k, she was a Goddess of the playground.
- Breathing: The Most Powerful Health Hack
You can go for months without food, a week without sleep, days without water, minutes without oxygen, yet very few of us focus on how to optimise our breathing.
- Feeling Old, Tired & Worn Out, Then 1 Man Did Something Amazing
Jim had always dreamed of climbing mountains, back country snowboarding, maybe learning to fly.
At 42 he gave up on all these dreams for one simple reason…
- Why Exercise Isn’t Always Good For You
“So let me get this right, to improve my health you want me to stop going to the gym?”
“That’s right,” I replied looking him straight in the eye…
I knew this was going to be a hard sell.
- The Flow State And Achieving Optimal Performance
Perform better, feel younger, be happier, improve faster and unlock your superpowers by harnessing the power of the Flow State.
- 7 Simple Ways Of Relieving Lower Back Pain
Lower back pain and more specifically relieving lower back pain is one of the biggest problems I deal with and stops many of us living life to the full
- The Problem With Porn (Why It’s Probably Ruining Your Life)
Inside of me that part of me that took pride in being a man was silently dying, I knew I should be up for this, but I just couldn’t seem to get excited about the prospect…what the hell was happening?
- Gaining Muscle Easily Whatever Your Age – Without Getting Injured
Why do you often see old people doing a marathon but rarely doing a 100m sprint?
- Recover From Exercise MUCH Faster
Exercise all day, and then do it again and again and again, by recovering from exercise MUCH faster. Learn how…
- Staying Fit After 40 – The Big Secret
Staying Fit After 40 has nothing to do with a specific way of eating or training, it has nothing to do with genetics, it has everything to do with…
- Improving Sports Performance – The ONLY Variable Which Matters
Most people try improving performance in any sport by focussing on the technical stuff.
This has it’s place, but there is something MUCH MORE powerful
- Become MUCH More Resistant To Injury As You Age
Become more resistant to injury by rejecting the common advice given by Personal Trainers and stealing the secrets of elite athletes
- Reduce Stress without Meditation, Breath-work or Mind Games
Reduce stress without meditating, by understanding the “Death by 1000 Cuts” principle.
- Biohacking – Why, What And How To Measure (And Improve)
The simple things you can track to send your performance through the roof.
- HIIT vs Cardio After 40 – Which Is Best For You?
There are tonnes of discussion online about HIIT vs Cardio after 40 and which you should be doing. Today I take a deeper dive.
- Build Muscle After 40? Why It’s Difficult To Do
After 40 we lose 1% of muscle mass a year naturally.
How do we ensure we can build muscle after 40 and perform at our highest level as we age?
- Are You Making This Simple Health Mistake?
“God damn, piece of junk…”
That little spinning circle appeared again and my entire computer froze…
I looked longingly towards the nearest window, visualising using it as a launch point for the over sized paper weight my laptop had become…
- How To Perform Better At EVERYTHING – Your 2 Brains
You were born with 2 brains. One of them holds the secret to enable you to perform better at everything…
The other one sucks..big time.
- Perform Better After 40 Than You Did At 20
When I wanted to perform better after 40 than I currently did, I started with my doctor, after all who knows more about health…right?
- How Giving Up Booze Nearly Killed Me…
Giving up booze is often touted as the miracle cure, for me it turned into something quite different…Follow me on a journey into one man dysfunction.
- Why Sitting Is Harming Your Sport
When you ask most people what they are doing after a session on the water or the mountain the reply is surprisingly similar, normally involving the sofa, Netflix and a few beers whilst they recover and mull over the days action.
- How To Stretch Properly Before Sport So You Avoid Injury After 40
If static stretching isn’t what you want to be doing if you’re looking to stretch properly before sport. What can you do instead?
- Warm Up Before Sport – Why You Shouldn’t Stretch After 40
I have a mate and every time we go to the beach he has to spend 20 minutes stretching to warm up before sport, in this case before he hits the water.
- How The Flow State Can Turn You Into A Superhuman
Ever experienced the feeling where you can do no wrong, where every action you take is perfect, where time slows down or speeds up and you’re totally in the moment undistracted by what’s going on around you or by the voice in your head? If you answered Yes you’ve experienced The Flow State. The Flow State is the ultimate human performance state,… Read more: How The Flow State Can Turn You Into A Superhuman
- Why You’re (Probably) Going To Get Injured [And How Not To]
Conventional wisdom tells us, when you pull or tear a muscle that the muscle was too weak and the solution therefore is to build it up stronger.
I propose something different…
- The Odds Are Stacked Against You Losing Weight – Here’s Why
Struggling to lose weight and keep it off? What you don’t know is there are 2 major industries heavily invested in ensuring you fail…
- ? My Hopeless Day Of Surfing With No Waves
What the hell were we doing? Here I was, lying on my kite board, on a totally flat ocean, freezing my ass off, attempting to surf.
- What happens if you do no exercise for 3 years
I’d done no exercise for 3 years….In that time I’d lost weight and gained back my 6 pack, I hadn’t been ill the entire time, I had loads more energy and I was in a constant good mood.
- Stuck Indoors & Worried About Snacking Too Much?
At the moment I know a lot of people are pretty worried about the effect being stuck indoors is going to have on their waistline. Let’s face it all this sitting around and boredom snacking isn’t going to make us any slimmer. There is however a more insidious threat to our waistlines which no one’s really talking about… This is,… Read more: Stuck Indoors & Worried About Snacking Too Much?
- Keep engaged, productive and healthy (after 40) whilst you’re working from home.
At this time you must be wondering how you can keep yourself productive, engaged and healthy when working from home (and most likely watching way too much Netflix 😉 ) The sad fact is that for many people these latest developments will lead to a downturn in their health and an increase in waist size as they move less, eat… Read more: Keep engaged, productive and healthy (after 40) whilst you’re working from home.